This activity offers the chance to contemplate and be enchanted by a great biodiversity of flora characteristic of the Chilean mediterranean climate just an hour and a half from Santiago, set in the Coastal Mountain Range.
The excursion begins at the northern sector of La Campana National Park, which was declared a Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO in 1985. From there we will head south towards Olmué –where our driver will be waiting us to return to Santiago–.
The first part of the tour consists of three hours hiking up through a beautiful trail surrounded by xerophytes and Chilean Palms (Jubaea chilensis), with gorgeous views of La Campana mountain on our right.
Following the trail we will reach the Ocoa Hillpass, an excellent spot for lunch and rest while we enjoy the beautiful views that the place offers. Later we will begin our descent towards the traditional town of Olmué, passing among an oak of Santiago forest (Nothofagus obligua var. macrocarpa) which is one of the northernmost relict trees, among other high trees.
We invite you to be part of this excursion of excellence and have an exciting encounter with nature. We hope your experience here will become a lifelong memory.
Note: Between April and June mushrooms can be found, like the fungi we photographed Oct 2nd 2016.
- Activity: Hike across
- Tour length: Full day
- Difficulty: Medium
- Season: During all the year
- Total distance*: 14km (8.7mi)
- Elevation gain: 720m (2,360ft)
- Max elevation: 1,127m (3,697ft)
* One way trek
- 07:30 Pick up at your hotel
- 09:30 Hike begins in Ocoa Palms
- 13:00 Ocoa hillpass, lunch
- 13:30 Descent to Olmué town
- 16:00 Car ride back
- 18:00 Back in your hotel
- Guide ENG / ESP
- Transport and driver
- Box lunch: one sandwich and a large salad; cereal bar; chocolate or cookies; tea or an isotonic drink; two fruits and water.
- Tel. signal most of the route
- First aid kit
- Park entrance fee
- Trekking poles
- Accident insurance
- Personal clothing
- Pre-hydration and good breakfast
- Hiking shoes
- Long sleeves shirt if possible
- Shorts on summer
- Hut and sunglasses
- Warm, windproof clothing on winter
In their words
The hike starts off in a beautiful dry area, clear skys and a view of the silhouetted layers of mountains in the distance. There are the towering palm trees and cacti giving a view that seems reminiscent of Jurassic Park.Ben Fritsch / Illinois, USA
Share this hike
Pictures taken on October 12, 2014 (spring)